Sunday, June 26, 2016

Les Plus Beaux Villages

The list of the most beautiful villages in France must be a very long one because I have seen quite a few and I have hardly been anywhere yet.


Hard to pick a winner from those I have seen. Image result for domme
Maybe Domme, a hilltop walled medieval town with stunning views of the Dordogne directly below the ramparts?

Loubressac or Autoire, both visited with Nicholas?

Or Beynac-et-Cazenac, creeping up the cliffside beside the river and dominated by a fairy-tale castle, once besieged by Richard the Lion Heart? Image result for beynac-et-cazenac dordogne

Image result for la roque-gageac
La Roque-Gageac with cream stone houses and brown-tiled roofs, clinging to the riverside not far from Beynac, or Carrenac where I stopped randomly, probably for coffee, only to discover it has an eleventh-century priory. Image result for CarrenacImage result for Carrenac

Each one perfect in its own way and so different. Mmmm...

No, I know. Saint-Guillem-le-Desert is my favorite. Matt and I went there from Montpellier, and I went back with Nicholas to do a walk in the valley beyond. Favorite so far, anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment